Post extraction instructions
One needs to extract their teeth due to mobility or decay. After tooth extraction following precautions to be taken for rapid and uncomplicated healing.
- You should bite on the gauge for 45 min after extraction.
- You should not eat any hard or hot and spicy foods for 24hrs.
- You should avoid spitting and gargling for 24 hrs.
- To protect the clot and for rapid healing, you should avoid smoking for 2-4 days.
- You should also avoid sucking with straw to prevent negative pressure for 24 hrs.
- You should not brush the extraction site for 24hrs.
- You should eat soft and nutritious food and should drink lots of fluids for rapid recovery.
- You should keep an ice pack on the side of extraction to reduce swelling.
- To control discomfort pain medication should be taken before the anesthetic effect is worn off.
- Antibiotics should be taken as prescribed by the doctor to prevent infection.
- It is normal to experience swelling after extraction, if the swelling is not subsiding or increasing after 3days you should consult the doctor immediately.
- You should gargle with warm salt water for 3-4 times 24 hrs after extraction.